Friday, September 18, 2009

Peter, Paul and MARY

When I heard that Mary Travers had died, it meant nothing until the announcer said Peter, Paul & Mary.
Oh what memories it brought back. I was at University from 1962 to 1965 and Peter, Paul & Mary provided the background for that time in my life.

When I looked at the songs on Youtube I did not know which to choose, they all have such evocative feelings for me. 'If I had a hammer', 'The times they are a changing', 'Blowing in the wind', even 'Puff the magic dragon'. 'Leaving on a jet plane' came later when I was into my teaching career.
I finally chose 'Where have all the flowers gone'. Gives many reasons for the tears.
Vale Mary (November 9, 1936 – September 16, 2009)
I have just learned that this was sung at the funeral of Harry Patch, the last British soldier of the First World War, in Wells Cathedral on August 9, 2009




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Peter, Paul and Mary tribute. I had the privledge to see them about 10 years ago when they sang in a small open air concert in Bowral. That performance was a real highlight for me

Toni