Thursday, September 01, 2011

Prayer please

I managed to get out of Dunedin 2 weeks ago despite the snow. I will blog about my Australian experiences later but more important is to ask for prayers for a fellow blogger, Birdie. 

Birdie blogs at Strelizia and I had the greatest pleasure in meeting her in Chicago nearly a year ago. We had a fun time driving down Michigan Avenue in her convertible and then cruising on the lake before lots of chat over lunch and finally being trapped in the lift, thankfully not for long, at the carpark.  Her efforts to develop gay acceptance in her Presbyterian church leave me full of admiration. I met Birdie on the Brokeback Mountain site and I do not think she frequents the Anglican/Episcopalian blogs that I mainly visit.

Birdie lives in Indianapolis and, after hearing of the stand collapse at a Fair in that city, I contacted her and her reply was that while she was not at the fair she was waiting to learn about a lump on her breast. The following week the news first got worse as she learned it was cancer and it was invasive but then thankfully some good news that it had not spread.
However Birdie begins the first of several chemotherapy treatments this week and faces a mastectomy around Christmas time.
Please pray for her, her family and close by friends as they support her, and the medical staff as they make all the decisions they make about her treatment.

Heavenly Father, giver of life and health: Comfort and relieve your servant Birdie., and give your power of healing to those who minister to her needs, that she may be strengthened in her weakness and have confidence in your loving care; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


6 comments:

Leonard said...

Amen, prayers for Birdie (that she will continue to fly bravely and joyously).

Abrazos,
Leonardo

Fran said...

Prayers for Birdie, who is familiar to me from your blog. I will add her name to our parish prayer list!

June Butler said...

Brian, of course I will pray for Birdie. Tell her that I'm 26 years past breast cancer. Those with the disease need to hear the stories of long-time survivors.

Sydneysider said...

Amen

motheramelia said...

So sorry to hear of Birdie's cancer. Prayers for her beating it.

Birdie said...

Thank you so much, Brian, and all of your loving friends. While I ride this rollercoaster of emotions and side effects, I am truly overwhelmed at the kindness and grace which center on me. It is life-giving. Please continue those prayers and on the behalf of those who don't have the support and care I am privileged to have. God bless you all.